Delta chi chapter house...
The origin of the Pike Mansion dates back to 1893 when Steven A. McWhorter, a prominent grain broker, purchased the half-acre of land on the southwest corner of 39th & Dodge and commissioned the estate to be built for his family. Construction began about 10 years later and completed in 1906.
At completion, the mansion featured 29 rooms with 7 bathrooms, 5 fireplaces, an elevator, and nearly 10,000 total square feet.
The McWhorter family lived in the mansion until Mr. McWhorter retired in 1911 and sold the home to Oak Chatham Redick, son of Omaha Pioneer Judge John I. Redick.
The Redick family lived in the house until 1929 when the home was foreclosed upon during the Great Depression.
The Mansion was used as a rooming house until 1939 when it was foreclosed on for the second time. For the next 10 years, it was used as a hotel and tearoom.
In 1949, the mansion was purchased by Dr. Wayne Hull and turned into an allergy clinic. Shortly after the purchase, the original front porch was enclosed and turned into patient rooms. The porte-cochere on the south side of the mansion was also removed. Over the years, Dr. Hull and Dr. John Dewey kept offices and treated patients on the first floor, rented out the second floor as an apartment and used the third floor as their laboratory.
The mansion remained an allergy clinic until 1992 when Dr. Dewey retired. It was then sold to Emerald Health Care and used as an Alzheimer's clinic for 8 years.
The mansion was once again for sale in 2000 and sat vacant until 2002. The Chapter President Matt Leaper ('98) toured the property that year and referred it to Housing Corporation President Jim Kresnik ('00), who spent nearly a year having the property inspected, obtaining zoning, and exploring financing options.
The mansion was purchased in late November 2002 and subsequently leased to members of the active chapter on December 1st of the same year. Major financing provided by James B. ('01) and Marilyn Kresnik allowed for numerous electrical, plumbing, and HVAC updates and also provided the Housing Corporation with sufficient working capital to subsidize the mortgage payments during the first two years. Additional financial support was also received from 28 other Delta Chi Alumni who sent in donations in the Housing Corporation's first-ever capital campaign in 2003.
Since then, there have been over 150 men from the Fraternity who have signed a lease with the chapter and called the Pike Mansion "home".